Talentedhands

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Anniversary

Today is a day of reflection for me.

Exactly one year ago, Roxanne was admitted to Fairfax Hospital for seizures. She was quickly diagnosed with Infantile Spasms (IS), and my research uncovered the bleak outcome for most kids who have IS: only about 20-25% develop normally. The worst case scenario? Roxanne could have been stuck with the development of a 2 month old.

October 10, 2006 marked the beginning of a horrible, frightening time in my life. I imagined the worst for Roxanne, but was determined to give her the best chance possible by getting her to the right doctors for the right treatment.

But October 10th also marked an amazing time in my life. Friends like you came out of the woodwork, asking again and again: “How can I help?” At first, I asked everybody to pray for Roxanne in their own way. Then I asked for food, and you brought me food. I asked for babysitters, and you came to watch Roxanne. I asked for support, and you kept me company. I asked for help at home, and you took out my garbage. I have never felt such love and gratitude.

I also found a network of parents of kids with Infantile Spasms, and one of them led me to Dr. P, who ultimately recommended Roxanne for the surgery that stopped her seizures. Again, I was blessed to have found people who helped me so much, and I owe them more than I can ever repay.

Roxanne is one of the lucky ones, and she helped me learn that I am, too.

5 Comments:

  • Happy Anniversary, Jen - and I love that picture of Her Highness! :D

    JCC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 PM  

  • WHAT A GREAT ENTRY TODAY. Thanks for posting. And that GRIN!!!!

    Hugs.

    - Susan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM  

  • I know I speak for many when I say, I am honored to have been allowed to help in whatever way I could.

    I am glad beyond words that Roxanne found the two of you to be her parents.

    Go Fuzzy!

    By Blogger Jack Scheer, at 4:23 PM  

  • Happy anniversary, and WHAT A CUTIE!!!!

    By Blogger towwas, at 10:15 PM  

  • happy [belated] anniversary! and look how big she's getting. soon, she'll be asking for keys. ;)

    By Blogger erin*carly, at 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counters
free hit counters