Talentedhands

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

More food camp

Greetings from week two of food camp. Roxanne is progressing well. We've reduced her tube feedings by 30%, and she's eating more enthusiastically at each meal. Polly (her feeding therapist) says that Roxanne's looking more like a typical one-year-old eater each day. If only Roxanne were supplementing her solid food with a couple of 8 ounce bottles of milk per day, then we'd be much further along, but she's not very hip on drinking anything yet, so we're dependent on her tube to give her formula.

Since this is my blog, let's talk about me for a moment. The logistics of these trips has been ridiculous. Parents: think about all the stuff your toddler needs every day. Bottles, formula, toys, clothes, diapers, crib, blankets, that special stuffed animal (in Roxanne's case, a pink monkey named, appropriately, Pink Monkey). Now imagine packing all that stuff, and add a food pump, the other equipment that goes along with it, and medicine.

But wait, it gets better! While I'm only a couple of miles away from the rehab hospital, Roxanne's schedule is so busy, it's impractical to come back here during the day, so I have to bring all the stuff she (and I) need for the whole day. I suspect I could beg an extra diaper if I needed one, but if I forget her formula or feeding pump, we're back in the car. So I have to be organized. In the MORNING, people. Those who know me know this is an unfortunate situation.

What's worse, is I'm not sleeping too well. I know some parents sleep with their kids in the same room, or even in the same bed. More power to them. But we don't, and for good reason: Roxanne is noisy at night. I've heard her snore once, but more often she makes little whiney sounds in her sleep that keep me awake. Did I mention there's also a train that passes by our hotel at regular intervals? Oops, one just went by. Really. And what's with people slamming their doors in hotels? Don't they know there's a baby sleeping? Sheesh.

Here's the other awkward thing about sharing a room with Roxanne. She goes to bed at 7pm. I have to be very quiet in a nearly dark room for about 3 hours a night. Thank God I have a laptop with an internet connection and a DVD player. After I check emails, I've been watching season one of The Gilmore Girls, loaned to me by MZ. Who knew the dialogue was so witty and acerbic?

I sound pretty crabby, but actually, I'm doing better this week than last. I've got the rhythm of the days. Roxanne is happy and healthy and eating better than ever. As my friend, MS, said, food camp is pretty "grueling" (get it?), but it's all very much worth it. I have an awesome photo of Roxanne with pudding on her face in the shape of her hand. We couldn't have missed that!

We'll be back on Friday night. I can't wait to see everyone.

3 Comments:

  • Grueling. Bwah hah hah. I'm glad to hear it's going so well!

    By Blogger towwas, at 12:25 AM  

  • Feel the LUUUVVVV!

    I'm glad to hear that Roxy is doing better with the eating, and look forward to sharing another meal with her soon :) muchos des hugs, J, and hopefully we'll hook up again soon :)

    JCC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 AM  

  • Ah! You should have kept *Wonderfalls*. And I should watch *Gilmore Girls*. I hope to see you soon!

    Wade

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counters
free hit counters