Happy Birthday, Albert

Today, my brother Albert would have turned 31. The photo above was taken four years ago, about a month before he killed himself.
Every year, it gets easier to remember how much I loved Albert, and what a great guy he was, as opposed to focusing on how he died. Today, I celebrate his life, and consider myself lucky to have been a part of it.
At the same time, I can’t let myself ignore the fact that he committed suicide. More than 30,000 people die from suicide in the U.S. every year, and hundreds of thousands of survivors live with the pain of their loss. Again this year, I've made a donation in Albert's memory to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. They do good work.
I don’t want to get preachy here, but I have to say that the winter, with shorter days and the holidays, is a dangerous time for depressed people. So take care of your mind, body and spirit. Be gentle with yourself and others. Let your loved ones know how much you care about them, and really ask how they are doing. It could make a difference.
Happy birthday, Albert.

4 Comments:
{{{Hugs}}}
Looking forward to seeing you tonight :)
JCC
By
Anonymous, at 12:02 PM
My brother, Arno, would have been 35 last month. Instead...
It will be fifteen years since his suicide this coming April. I gets a little easier every year, but there are still the days that I miss him like crazy.
I'll be thinking about you tonight. I know we've been been playing phone tag, and we really should catch up Sometime Soon.
*HUGS*
By
Anonymous, at 4:47 PM
** hugs **
from me too.
we just had a suicide in the family in august - my mom's best friend's husband. our families are essentially one. she told him she wanted a divorce, and he took his life instead, leaving behind three kids. their daughter is the little sister i never had. everyone is still figuring out how to cope with it, but thankfully, all are strong and are working together to keep each other afloat.
and, thankfully, they have my family, too.
it's incredible how many people are affected by just one person's actions. and, how many of us are here for support.
your brother sounds like he was a great guy. i'm glad he lives on in good memories like yours. :)
By
erin*carly, at 1:47 PM
Thank you for telling the story. I have a problem with depression; your story helps me focus more on people than the craziness in my head.
Thanks!
By
Anonymous, at 9:15 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home