Talentedhands

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Oh, hello

I recently heard that there are some loyal blog readers out there that check this website daily. Sorry I don't update that regularly. TOWWAS is already feeling the post-a-day pressure, but I have yet to succumb.

Here's something I was thinking about today. I had a friend who always made a point of dressing up for appointments with her oncologist. When asked why, she replied, "I want to look like somebody worth saving."

I think she hit the politics of medicine right on the head. Doctors have limited attention and resources. I believe that they can't help but do triage on every patient they see. If you look like somebody who has a good chance for a good outcome, they are more likely to spend their resources on you. If they think you're a lost cause, they quietly let you fade into the background.

So when Roxanne and I went to see the new epileptologist from Children's, Dr. P., I made a point of dressing up for the appointment. I made sure my records were complete and ready to hand over. I wanted to look like someone whose child is worth helping. I hope it worked. We'll know when and if Dr. P reviews her MRI, EEGs, labwork, etc. and comes back with recommendations for future action.

2 Comments:

  • Well, I don't actually come look at the blog every day, but I do check the RSS feeds constantly. So, yay for more posting!

    By Blogger towwas, at 9:55 AM  

  • I salute you for going the extra mile, and have no doubt that it helps somewhat. Which is vaguely depressing, given the wide range of attributes that may or may not be considered "worth saving." I can't help but wonder if the "someone who looks like me" factor doesn't bump up the "worth saving" rating a few notches.

    /cynicism.

    See you Friday! Having been fed my last couple of visits, I'd be happy to try the Maggiano's gambit again :)

    JCC, x-posted

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counters
free hit counters