Sha na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye...
Dan got laid off this week. He had worked at the company for 20 years, and last Tuesday, they said, “see ya!”
So the transition is a big one.
I’ve never been laid off before, but I’ve been dumped, and it feels crappy. “It’s not you, it’s me!” Yeah right. But unlike me, who recovered from being dumped with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and a weekend’s worth of chick flicks, Dan is getting out there, talking to colleagues about new opportunities.
Dan knows about 4 million people, and 98.5% of them think he’s a great guy, because, well, he is. He’s helped and encouraged a lot of folks during his career, and they want to return the favor. He’s going to get another job, and he has a decent severance package in the meantime. When? What will he be doing, for what company? Dunno. But it’s all good.
So the transition is a big one.
I’ve never been laid off before, but I’ve been dumped, and it feels crappy. “It’s not you, it’s me!” Yeah right. But unlike me, who recovered from being dumped with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and a weekend’s worth of chick flicks, Dan is getting out there, talking to colleagues about new opportunities.
Dan knows about 4 million people, and 98.5% of them think he’s a great guy, because, well, he is. He’s helped and encouraged a lot of folks during his career, and they want to return the favor. He’s going to get another job, and he has a decent severance package in the meantime. When? What will he be doing, for what company? Dunno. But it’s all good.

4 Comments:
Oooooof. He must feel like the rug's been pulled out from under him.
By
Anonymous, at 12:33 PM
I can't believe that about Dan!! Who's butt do I have to kick!?!?!
By
Tunnies, at 11:20 AM
I would repeat my comment from our IM conversation, but it can't be printed in a family newspaper. It started with "f" and had an "uuuuuuuuu" in it. Anyway, here's thinking good thoughts.
By
towwas, at 12:43 AM
Hope the job hunt is going well. 20 years? Wow. So much for reciprocating that loyalty! Good thoughts your way from me.
By
Cheryl, at 12:16 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home