She's OK, but...
The main thing I need to remember is that Roxanne is doing just as well as she was last week.
But last Friday, she started showing some strange neurological symptoms. She was walking along just fine, then she suddenly lost her balance and wavered unsteadily. Her facial expression was surprise and dismay, then she cried. After she calmed down, she was fine again.
Sure, this sounds like what toddlers do: they toddle, lose their balance and often fall down. I've seen Roxanne do that hundreds of times, but this was different, I have no doubt. I also saw something weird with her eyes over the weekend, and again saw the problems walking this morning. I don't know what it is, but it's not normal. It's not an all-out seizure, but something is going on.
On Thursday, Roxanne gets another EEG, her first in at least a year. They want her to fall asleep during the test, so she has to be sleep deprived. That means I'll keep her up till midnight on Wednesday night, and get her up at 5am the next morning. That's going to be such fun, I can just tell.
Sigh. Just when we started to relax.
The irony of all this is that on Friday morning, I was interviewed with Roxanne about her success story. Channel 7 is working with Children's Hospital to do a segment on their epilepsy team (that does outstanding work!). Roxy is an example of a child who had brain surgery to eliminate her seizures, who is doing very, very well. I'll let you know when it's going to air. (Hm. I wonder if I should call and let them know the story has changed?)
I just have to remember that Roxanne is still doing very, very well. We will work this out.
Sigh.
But last Friday, she started showing some strange neurological symptoms. She was walking along just fine, then she suddenly lost her balance and wavered unsteadily. Her facial expression was surprise and dismay, then she cried. After she calmed down, she was fine again.
Sure, this sounds like what toddlers do: they toddle, lose their balance and often fall down. I've seen Roxanne do that hundreds of times, but this was different, I have no doubt. I also saw something weird with her eyes over the weekend, and again saw the problems walking this morning. I don't know what it is, but it's not normal. It's not an all-out seizure, but something is going on.
On Thursday, Roxanne gets another EEG, her first in at least a year. They want her to fall asleep during the test, so she has to be sleep deprived. That means I'll keep her up till midnight on Wednesday night, and get her up at 5am the next morning. That's going to be such fun, I can just tell.
Sigh. Just when we started to relax.
The irony of all this is that on Friday morning, I was interviewed with Roxanne about her success story. Channel 7 is working with Children's Hospital to do a segment on their epilepsy team (that does outstanding work!). Roxy is an example of a child who had brain surgery to eliminate her seizures, who is doing very, very well. I'll let you know when it's going to air. (Hm. I wonder if I should call and let them know the story has changed?)
I just have to remember that Roxanne is still doing very, very well. We will work this out.
Sigh.

7 Comments:
As ever, you've got our love, support, and anything else you need. Fingers crossed and ::hugs::.
By
Jack Scheer, at 8:24 PM
Oh dear.
By
towwas, at 9:03 PM
Oy. Sending good vibes your way and hoping its really not much of anything.
By
Anonymous, at 11:34 PM
BIG HUGS for you, Roxy, and Dan!
~Marissa Apple
By
Unknown, at 9:07 AM
sending much love ~ Wade
By
Anonymous, at 10:35 AM
Roxy is really lucky she has such an awesome mother --- I'm so glad you were able to catch the signs so quickly. I hope tomorrow goes well. I'll be thinking of you.
By
Unknown, at 2:24 PM
oh my. i'll give you an extra big hug tonight to pass on to Roxy.
By
erin*carly, at 5:07 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home