Happy Birthday, Albert

Today would have been my brother Albert’s 32nd birthday. Every year, I celebrate the day that began his life, and do something to keep his memory alive. The photo above was taken in 2003, shortly before Albert's 27th birthday. It was the last time I saw him before he killed himself a month later. I can’t believe he has been gone for five years, and I still miss him terribly. I wish he could have met Roxanne -- they would have loved each other.
As I do every year, I've made a donation in Albert's memory to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. More than 30,000 people die from suicide in the U.S. every year, and hundreds of thousands are left to live with their loss.
As I do every year, I've made a donation in Albert's memory to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. More than 30,000 people die from suicide in the U.S. every year, and hundreds of thousands are left to live with their loss.
This time of year, with shorter days and the holidays, is a dangerous time for depressed people. So take care of your mind, body and spirit. Be gentle with yourself and others. Let your loved ones know how much you care about them, and really ask how they are doing. It could make a difference.
Happy birthday, Albert. I miss you.

2 Comments:
Please consider yourself hugged. 'Nuff said.
By
Anonymous, at 7:47 AM
Happy birthday Albert.
Thanks for the thoughtful blog, Jennifer.
- Susan
By
Anonymous, at 2:09 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home