Talentedhands

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Gah! You never blog anymore!

You're right. I rarely blog these days, but I think that's good news. When life at our house is (dare I say it?) calm, or as mellow as it can be with a 3-year-old, I don't have much to post about. And let's just face it (no pun intended), Facebook is just easier.

Ah, but did I mention that Roxanne turned 3? She totally scored in the cake/singing/candle department: she had a cake at my aunt's house, one at home, and one at our mom's group party. When I celebrated my own birthday about a month later, she sang me happy birthday (how cute is that!?) and blew out my candle, too.

Roxanne is a non-stop talking, singing, question-asking machine. Some questions are easy:

I said, "Put on your jacket, Roxanne."
"Why?"
"Because it's cold outside" (Easy!)

Others make my brain hurt.

Roxanne asked, "Does Anne live there?" (a neighborhood friend)
"No, she doesn't"
"Why not?" (Um. Because she can't be two places at once? Just 'cuz? How do you explain that things just ARE?)

"Why is it raining?" (Dan's son saved me on this one:)
"Because of the water cycle." (Why she accepts that answer is beyond me.)

"Why is Ursula (the villian in The Little Mermaid) bad?"
"I guess she was made that way."
"Why?" (Because the plot needed an evil genius? How does one explain the nature of evil?)

Then there's the ubiqitious, "What are you doing?" that requires me to decide in how much detail I want to describe my actions. It's exhausting, but age-appropriate, and I'm glad for it.

I've been working two days per week consistently for the last year or so, and while I'm at work, Roxanne goes to an awesome in-home daycare in our neighborhood. Our doctor's appointments are at an all-time low, and Roxanne no longer has physical or occupational therapy.

She's been wearing glasses for almost a year now, and seems to be doing well with them. She stopped wearing the patch over the summer, when she got her new pink, bi-focal lenses. The boost in close-vision correction seems to have improved her lazy eye significantly, and hey, those are just cute glasses.

If you didn't already know that Roxanne has epilepsy, or that she had brain surgery, you'd never know. I rarely mention her history to new friends because the issues just don't come up. (Within context, I'm happy to talk about her experiences, but her story is really hers to share.) But Roxanne still has epilepsy, and she still has episodes.

As you may have noticed on TV or in the movies, the definition of seizure is dramatic full-body flopping around. These used to be called grand mal, now called generalized. Roxanne's are infrequent, more subtle, and we are working to eliminate them with medication. So she's good.

News of the cute: Have you heard the new Lady Gaga song, "Paparazzi"? (OK, even if you haven't, say the word aloud -- you'll need it to get the next part.) When Roxanne heard the song on the radio, she said, "She's singing about Roxy?" Yes, it's all about her.

This is where you'd usually see a cute photo, but Blogger isn't letting me upload today. I owe you one.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counters
free hit counters