Talentedhands

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Plan for Roxanne

Roxanne was diagnosed with epilepsy (specifically, infantile spasms) in October, 2006. We went to see Dr. V, the epileptologist at Johns Hopkins in November, 2006, and the team left off saying they would have the neuroradiologist review Roxanne’s MRI, and would be in touch. When we called back weeks later, the radiology people had yet to review the MRI. In other words, we fell into a black hole of disinterest.

Changing tack, Roxy and I went to see Dr. P, the epileptologist from Children’s on January 2nd. A week later, she got another, more detailed, MRI. A week after that, we met with the neurosurgeon. Talk about interest and attention! Whoo!

The epilepsy team at Children’s includes four epileptologists (pediatric neurologists with a specialty in epilepsy), a neuroradiologist and two neurosurgeons. They reviewed Roxy’s case (old and new MRIs, old/new EEGs, history of seizures, drugs taken, etc.) and unanimously agreed that surgery is her best option. (Can I note how cool it is that a whole team of brilliant people reviewed Roxanne's case? Very.)

Dr. Y, the neurosurgeon, used the recent MRI to show Dan and I the area of abnormality in the right parietal region of Roxanne’s brain. It’s about the volume of a ping pong ball, and they hope that by removing that area, Roxanne’s seizures will decrease dramatically or even go away.

While it doesn’t feel like the idea of brain surgery is good news, it is. Roxanne isn’t responding to anti-epilepsy drugs, and statistically, if she hasn't, she won’t. Her seizures and the medications are slowing Roxy's development, and can eventually cause permanent damage. I hear our situation is what families of kids with epilepsy hope for. Huh.

Of course there are risks with the surgery, and yeah, I’m freaked out. But the studies show that not doing the surgery, and Roxanne continuing to have seizures every other day, will most certainly cause her to be developmentally delayed. Studies also show that this type of surgery can be very successful.

So. The surgery is scheduled for the week of February 12. They say she'll be in the hospital for a week after the surgery, which I find hard to believe -- only a week? I don’t have a lot of other details yet, and frankly, I’m not sure I’m ready to hear all of them. God. Brain surgery.

10 Comments:

  • Wow. Wow! Well, here's to the doctors, and here's to the diagnosis others pray for, and here's to you and your husband and your girl.

    You're all in my prayers.

    I had a lot of surgery when I was little (albeit, not on my brain). It was so much harder on my mom than it was on me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 PM  

  • *hugs*

    I'm glad that this opportunity is opening up for Roxy, and I will continue to include my prayers and good wishes for the entire family.

    Feel the LUV!

    John

    PS: It was good seeing you last night - thanks for dinner!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 PM  

  • Great news! Yay for having such a fantastic team. And I look forward to having you right down the road for a week. Actually, I leave for Norway on the 17th, so I may not be around, depending on when in the week her surgery is.

    By Blogger towwas, at 1:19 PM  

  • Glad you have a definitive and hopeful plan of action. You're all in my thoughts. See you next week!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM  

  • The plan is set. Plans are good. Plans means ANSWERS and that must be good!
    Hugs.

    Love,
    Susan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 PM  

  • ok, yay. which day can I bring food. I'm at a loss for words, but I'll bring great food!

    much love,
    Wade

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:11 PM  

  • Well, that is great news. Feeling like there is nothing to do is the worst part - you have something that can be done! Thank god. You are so freaking strong, I am amazed.

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 9:30 PM  

  • Great news! Glad you could get a surgery date so soon. Feel free to email if you have any questions. Will they do the grids first or are they able to determine what needs to be removed without them?

    Erin from the IS Group

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 PM  

  • Jen, my little adopted guy Kalob had two bilateral brain surgeries 3 weeks apart. It has been a long road back and the prognosis for him was grim for a long time.. and there are still some concerns, but I tell you he is GOOD. I hated and yet loved my time at Chridren's Hospitol with Megan, but their care there is truly AMAZING! I will be praying .. and I look forward to your good word in a few weeks. Love to you all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:24 PM  

  • roxy's definitely lucky . . . not everyone gets a chance to have a potentially life-saving (or at least life-altering) surgery like this, and with what sounds like an amazing team of doctors!

    i'll be over here, in my little corner, rooting for her. :)

    By Blogger erin*carly, at 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counters
free hit counters