Like riding a bike
Today as I was getting on the elevator at the doctor's office, I saw a couple signing to each other. Without thinking about it, I signed "excuse me" when I wheeled Roxy's stroller near them. They started signing with me, asking how old she is, etc. They never got around to the "so, are you deaf or what?" question, since it was a short ride. Regardless, it felt good to know I've still got it.
Equally interesting, I saw a young guy in black standing near (but not with) them who had been signing as I entered the elevator. Even if I hadn't seen him sign, he totally had the just-finished-interpreting-for-a-doctor's-appointment look.
As I walked away, I thought, "wow, that was me 6 months ago."
Equally interesting, I saw a young guy in black standing near (but not with) them who had been signing as I entered the elevator. Even if I hadn't seen him sign, he totally had the just-finished-interpreting-for-a-doctor's-appointment look.
As I walked away, I thought, "wow, that was me 6 months ago."

2 Comments:
Funny how life throws stuff at you like that occasionally.
By
Anonymous, at 10:16 AM
I've totally done that with Japanese people. Only I think it's fairly clear that I'm not Japanese.
By
towwas, at 11:14 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home