Talentedhands

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My word!

Roxanne is going through the "word explosion" I've heard so much about: adding several new words in a short time. Granted, most of her words are incomplete, but they are consistent and appropriate for the context. Cool! She knows some signs, too. You'd think the kid of an interpreter would be signing up a storm, but I've been lame about signing with her. Weird.

Here is the secret decoder ring for understanding Roxanne so far.

She says: "bup"
She means: up or cup (it's clear within context -- if she's reaching up to be held, you can bet she doesn't want her cup.)

She signs: bed
She says: "behhhh"
She means: bed (go figure!)

She says: "uck"
She means: truck or stuck

She signs: eat/food
She says: (nothing)
She means: feed me!

She signs: milk
She says: "muk"
She means: any drink, including milk or juice

She says: "ahhoomm"
She means: bathroom (the place) or vacuum (noun or verb)

She says: "nnnnnnnnn"
She means: phone or down (clear within context), sometimes spoon

Other words that are clear: bus, wow, yay, uh-oh.

The way she says "wow" is particularly cute, but I can't figure out how to show it in writing. Next time you talk to me, I'll imitate it for you. Yeah, I'm one of THOSE moms.

1 Comments:

  • I would like to note: Roxanne asks for food! Yay!

    By Blogger towwas, at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counters
free hit counters