Talentedhands

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Giving thanks

I was wondering why I've been thinking about Roxanne's epilepsy more than usual lately. Why I've been tracking the blog of a little boy who had brain surgery yesterday.

Ah. October 10th, 2006. Three years ago today, my life was turned upside down. Roxanne, our beautiful, brand-new baby, only two months old, was having seizures, one after another. She was admitted to the hospital, and I fell down the rabbit hole into a world of doctors, medications, tests, and ultimately, despair. The diagnosis of Infantile Spasms holds little hope of recovery. I had to start accepting the fact that Roxanne might not develop well, if at all, beyond her 2 months.

I look at Roxanne today, and it's easy to minimize how terrifying that time was. She is delightful and funny and loving and wonderful. I have to remember the tranformation that took place to bring her to us today. I have to remember the outpouring of love from friends and family that kept us going. I have to remember to be thankful, every day.



October, 2006


October, 2009

4 Comments:

  • Thankful indeed. You've all come so far :-) Yay!

    JCC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 AM  

  • Whart John said. Love you all!

    -MC

    By Anonymous MC, at 8:55 AM  

  • Wow. Wonderful post. And beautiful shirt in the 2009 picture. :)

    CMY

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:16 PM  

  • Wow... and I've got a completely different reason to remember October 10 and be thankful -- the birthday of our beautiful baby girls. Culmination of our own saga.

    Diana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counters
free hit counters