Talentedhands

Friday, February 16, 2007

Roxanne update

Roxanne had a good night in the ICU last night and is doing well this morning. She spends most of her time sleeping, but occasionally opens an eye to check things out briefly. The medical staff is controlling her pain well, which is excellent, because I would have gone ballistic if they weren’t.

I won't go into all the gory details of Roxy’s surgery, but one of ways the medical team figures out exactly which portion of her brain needs to be removed is the placement of an EEG grid directly on her brain after they open her up. Roxanne was clever enough to have two seizures while the grid was in place, so the surgeon had a very clear picture of the abnormal area. Her timing was uncanny.

Dan and I are doing pretty well through all the stress. Sitting around in the waiting room yesterday was excruciating, and we were both at the hospital from 7:00am until Roxanne was settled in the ICU at about 7:00pm. I went home and slept for a while, while Dan stayed at Roxy's bedside, then we traded places at about 3:00am. Now we’re taking shifts so we don’t burn out simultaneously. I return tonight around 11:00pm for the overnight shift, and Dan will mostly do the day/evening shift.

I was able to hold Roxanne for a while this morning, which was sweet. She doesn’t look as beat up as I had thought she might. She has a big scar on her head, of course, but they didn’t shave her bald. She is scheduled to have a post-op MRI this evening, and if everything looks OK, they will move her from the ICU to a regular room.

Please continue to pray for Roxanne’s recovery without any complications. Thank you for all you do.

3 Comments:

  • I'm so glad that things are going well; this is such a scary thing to be going through. My prayers are with your little girl, and your whole family.

    By Blogger Wendy, at 3:02 PM  

  • That Roxy sure is one clever gal! Seriously, I'm glad to hear that the news is positive now. Sending healing thoughts to Roxy and lots of good thoughts for you and Dan during this tough time. Lots of love and hugs to all of you. Watkins sends along his best thoughts too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 PM  

  • Way to time those seizures, Roxy baby! I'll be sending my good thoughts as I fly off to Norway. I'm sorry the timing didn't work for me to come hang out at the hospital. :(

    By Blogger towwas, at 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counters
free hit counters